Cultural and leisure activities at the university are organized and conducted by the
| «Student Autumn» — the show of talented students
|The members of the jury are busy|
| Miss USU beauty contest
| At the Student Art Studio
student self-government bodies, the Student Union and the Student Council, as well as the Student Club and Sports Club. These student organizations work in close contact with the Office of Youth Policy, which is responsible for coordinating all student activities at the university level.USU Student Union is an independent public organization that represents the rights and interests of USU students. Head of the union is Petr Ofitserov, who works together with the union committee comprised of the deputy head and representatives of the university faculties.
The Student Union is a membership-based organization. Students joining the union are eligible for the following benefits:
- Protection of their social and economic rights
- Free legal advice
- Material aid in difficult situations
- Christmas gifts for their children
- Monitoring of living conditions in the dormitory
- Student Union awards and other benefits for active participation in the extracurricular life
- Movie tickets at reduced prices
- Monitoring of scholarships distribution
- Opportunities for self-expression and realization of their creative ideas.
All of this for a membership fee of 3% of the student scholarship.
The Student Union offers a large variety of events throughout the academic year, such as billiards, bowling, paintball, rock-climbing tournaments, contests titledStudent leader",The cleanest dorm room". Most importantly, students not only have a chance to participate in such events, but also to be their organizers. One example is a corporate game of the Institute of Economics and Business, «The Running University», which was invented and carried out by student leaders of the Faculty of Management with the support of the USU Student Union.
The Student Union incorporates the Headquarter of Student Construction Teams, which traces its history to 2009. USU student construction teams have contributed to the construction of Olympic venues in Sochi, a residential area in the city of Ekaterinburg, the «Yamal» megaproject and numerous other construction projects all over Russia.
Additionally, the Student Union runs the USU Support Center for Young Student Families.
Address: 5 Vodoprovodnaya Str., 432063 Ulyanovsk
Telephone: +7 (8422) 67-50-62
Office of Youth Policy
The Office of Youth Policy is part of the Department of External Affairs, Youth Policy and Social Work.
Its main objectives are:
- arrange and conduct entertainment, educational, leisure and recreational activities for USU students;
- facilitate collaboration with youth policy departments of the governing bodies of Ulyanovsk, Ulyanovsk region and other regions;
- create conditions for the development of theater, music and performing arts clubs, encourage interaction with student organizations of other educational institutions in Ulyanovsk and in other cities with the purpose of arranging and holding joint contests, competitions and recreational events;
- ensure participation of USU students in festivals, forums and competitions at various levels;
- supervise and monitor the student co-government and self-government bodies.
Student Art Studio
The Office of Youth Policy runs the Student Art Studio, which is located on the main university campus and serves to:
- organize and conduct extra-curricular and calendar events, festivals and competitions for USU students jointly with the Student Union, the Student Council and external youth organizations;
- set up and support creative associations, studios and clubs;
- provide a space for rehearsals and practice sessions.
Head of the Office of Youth Policy - Maksimova Yulia
Chief specialist: Dmitry Krainov
Chief specialist: Margarita Kostina
Senior Inspector: Aleksey Koushnirenko
Senior Inspector: Kristina Pavlova
Address: 42 Leo Tolstoy, room 49
Phone: +7 (8422) 41-20-97
The USU Sports Club coordinates all sports activities at the university, which include a great variety of tournaments and competitions in such sports, as swimming, chess, table tennis, track and fields, judo, sambo, aerobics, badminton, shooting, kickboxing, biathlon, cross-country skiing, volleyball, basketball, weight lifting, arm wrestling, bench press.
Additionally, USU community members may join:
- the Chess Club
- the «Hurricane» Paintball Club
- the Tennis Club
- the Tourist Club
Head of the Sports Club — Andrey Kazantsev, chief basketball coach of the men's and women's teams of the Ulyanovsk region, head of the Street Basketball Federation of Ulyannovsk region.
Address: 3 Naberezhnaya r. Sviyaga, room 131, Ulyanovsk
Telephone: +7 (8422) 26.10.32
The most popular events at the university include:
- Knowledge Day on the 1st of September, the first day of classes
- The Freshmen Initiation
- Students Day, or Tatiana's Day, in honor of the Saint patron of Russian students, celebrated on January 25
- The student talent shows, «Student Spring» and «Student Autumn»
- The Pancake week, or Shrovetide, an Eastern Slavic folk holiday celebrated during the last week before the Great Lent to mark the end of winter
- The tournament of the Club of «the Funny and Inventive», or KVN, a Russian humor competition where teams compete by giving funny answers to questions and showing prepared sketches
- Mister USU and Miss USU Contests
- The Stand-Up Comedy Contest
- Various song and dance festivals
- Karaoke parties