Actions in case of the threat of terrorism
INSTRUCTION of The National Anti-terrorist Center
on actions in case of the threat of a terrorist attack
Threat in case of detecting explosives
In view of the terrorist threat spread one should remember that the explosive devices used by terrorists can be camouflaged to look like any item of any shape, including, a usual household object: a parcel, a package, a bag, a box, a toy, etc.
One should remember that you must avoid taking packages, bags, parcels, boxes, gifts and other objects from strangers.
You must not touch any things left outside, in transport, in shops and public places in any case even if it is a toy, a purse, a mobile phone.
The signs of suspicious objects indicating to a planted explosive device
1. Connected wires or a cord.
2. The remains of insulating tape, wires, cords and other materials and objects, not typical of an object or a room.
3. The wires or insulating tape which are hanging down from under the car.
4. Presence of radio-receiving antennas on such objects where they are obviously not peculiar.
5. Clockwork ticking in such places where clocks are not supposed to be.
One should bear in mind that above-mentioned signs can not be seen (are hidden under an external surface).
Unattended suspicious items
Be extremely attentive to suspicious items that can be around you: never touch them, adhere to the following recommendations.
1. If you have found an unattended suspicious object on the street, report to the police about it if you have no phone, ask the adults for help who are nearby.
2. If you have found the forgotten or an unattended thing in public transport, ask the people who are sitting nearby. Try to find out whose thing it is or who could have left it. If the owner is not identified, immediately report about it to the driver.
3. If you have found a suspicious object in a house entrance, ask the residents, it might belong to them. If the owner is not determined, immediately report about it to the police.
4. If you have found a suspicious object in an institution (in a school, a shop, a policlinic, a cafe, a club, etc.), immediately inform the administration about it.
Important! if you have found an unattended thing, being convinced that there is no owner nearby, inform the police about the found object. However expensive and attractive this thing looked like, you must remember that one touch of it can deprive you and people around of life.
5. Do not touch, do not open and do not move a found object and do not allow anybody to do it before experts’ arrival.
6. Record the time of detecting a found object.
7. Try to take precautions and make people leave this area as farther as possible from a dangerous object and do not touch it. Explain to people that you have called the police. (The minimum safe distances in case of explosion of an explosive device are specified in table 1.)
8. Wait for the arrival of the police. Remember that you are an important eyewitness.
The vehicles filled with explosives
Terrorists can use vehicles for planting explosive mechanisms. To prevent the acts of terrorism with the use of bombs planted in vehicles one should show vigilance and pay attention to:
- vehicles without registration numbers or with the damaged number plates since in this case the identification of hijacked vehicles which can be used by terrorists for installing explosive devices is complicated;
- cars, that are not typical of this area;
- vehicles parked with the traffic rules violation. As terrorists can quickly park a vehicle and hastily leave the parking place.
Transfer of suspicious objects
Remember that terrorists can camouflage bombs not only like an unattended object, but they will try to give such a bomb to other people under the plausible pretext, at first sight, not causing suspicions.
1. Never take packages and bags from strangers, do not leave your baggage unattended.
2. Do not agree to the proposal of unknown persons to perform little insignificant work for remuneration (for example, transfer of a package, transfer of a parcel).
Do not transport and do not give the others things for transportation by railway, automobile and other means of transport.
Do not let suspicious strangers in. Provide the restricted access conditions excluding penetration into cellars and attics of multistoried buildings for the people who are not authorized to work in them. Participate in the arrangement of watches by residents of your house which will regularly go around the building, watching whether everything is in order, paying special attention to emergence of unfamiliar people and cars, unloading bags and boxes.
Actions if an explosion has happened near your house
1. It is necessary to calm down and to calm your relatives. To call the police and to describe a situation.
2. In case if evacuation is required it is necessary to take documents and all necessary belongings.
3. One should move ahead carefully, not touch the damaged structures and bare wires.
4. In a destroyed or damaged room because of danger of explosion of the accumulated gases one should not use an open flame (matches, candles, torches, etc.).
5. If the clothes catches fire it is necessary to wrap up the person with dense fabric or a coat, a blanket, it is better if it is wet, or to pour water on him. One should prevent him/her from moving, using a trip if required. In order to put out a flame completely, it is necessary to eliminate any air flow under a cover. For this purpose it is required to put a damp fabric in the area of burns. Do not touch anything that has stuck to the burns. The injured person should be sent to the nearest medical aid station.
6. If in the damaged building the stairway is filled with smoke, open the windows which are in a stairway, or smash out the glass to let out a smoke and to give inflow of fresh air, and close snugly the door of the room from where the smoke gets into a stairway.
Safety procedures in case of explosion outside
1. Having heard the sound of an explosion, it is required to fall down on the ground and cover the head with hands. The heaviest injuries occur in the people who are in a standing position at the time of a blast wave outside buildings. Indirect impact of a blast wave consists in effecting people with flying fragments of buildings, stones, shattered glass and other objects.
2. If there are injured people nearby – one should render first aid. It is possible to stop bleeding, having drawn a belt or something, similar to a tournique, in places above the wound. You need to do it quickly. Bloodthirstiness of terrorists has no limits. They quite often blow up a second bomb at the moment when the survivors after the first explosion tried to help the injured people. Avoid trying to lift the wounded from the ground if it is visible that they have injuries of a body.
3. If there is a mobile phone — call in a rescue team and call the relatives to let them know that you are safe.